Piano for Kids” with Joseph & Anthony Paratore is an entertaining introduction to classical music masterpieces. The most popular classical music works are recounted in a lively and exciting way. The series consists of 6 episodes in which popular works suitable for children are presented. Episode 3 discusses Ravel's "Mother Goose", a piano duet he originally wrote for the Godebski children, Mimi and Jean, aged 6 and 7. The suite includes the popular "cinq pièces enfantines" (five children's pieces): Sleeping Beauty and Little Tom Thumb based on the tales of Charles Perrault, while Little Ugly Girl, Empress of Pagodas is inspired by a tale (The Green Serpent) by Perrault's "rival" Madame d'Aulnoy. Beauty and the Beast is based upon the version by Jeanne-Marie “Le Prince de Beaumont”. The origin of The Fairy Garden is not entirely known, although the ballet version interprets this as Sleeping Beauty being awakened in the garden by her prince.
1. Ravel: Mother Goose: I. Scene: Sleeping Beauty
2. Ravel: Mother Goose: II. Scene: Tom Thumb
3. Ravel: Mother Goose: III. Scene: Little Ugly Girl, Empress of Pagodas
4. Ravel: Mother Goose: IV. Scene: The Beauty and the Beast
5. Ravel: Mother Goose: V. Scene: The Enchanted Garden
6. Ravel: Mother Goose: Rapsodie Espagnole, M. 54: III. Habanera
Ravel: Mother Goose